My MR. is a huge pizza lover, but really who isn't? By huge, I mean he could eat it everyday if I wasn't on the ball to keep healthy foods in the house. I'm always looking for ways to make sure we get those veggies in and satisfy the pizza craving. This one was a recent winner in our house. All the taste goods of pizza, without the carbs and cals! Read on for the recipe.
Serves 4 (or 2 really hungry adults)
1 Spaghetti Squash, cut in half lengthwise
Salt & Pepper, for seasoning
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - about a 1/2 tsp
1 cup of your favorite pizza sauce
30 slices of turkey pepperoni
1/2 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
Garlic Powder - to taste
Italian Seasoning - to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Wash the outside of the spaghetti squash to remove any dirt or residue. Using a sharp knife, cut it in half lengthwise. Scoop out all of the seeds and discard. The inside should be smooth.
- Spray or use a brush to apply olive oil to inside of squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place inside down on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow squash to cool for 5 minutes. Gather the rest of your ingredients while you wait.
- Using a fork, scrape the "noodles" into the center of the squash. Leave the noodles inside the skin.
- Mix noodles with 1/2 cup of pizza sauce. Add garlic and italian seasoning to your liking. (I like to jazz up sauce because it never seems to have enough flavor.)
- Add 7 pepperonis to the top of the noodles.
- Top the pepperonis with cheese. Add 7-8 more pepperonis to the top of the cheese.
- Move top rack of oven to the highest position in your oven and turn broiler on high. Place pan with squash under the broiler for 4-6 minutes. Make sure to watch it so that the cheese doesn't burn.
My MR. and I shared a half of a squash and were pleasantly full. So, grab two forks and dig in! Make sure to blow on it a bit in case it's too hot.