Monday and Tuesday are low carb days in my current dietary life. Those evenings, I make sure to make a dinner that focuses on protein and veggies. This is a new addition that we tried this week. I'm new to cooking in cast iron so any excuse to practice is a win.
It smelled absolutely amazing while in the oven and killed us that it was for dinner the next night instead of eating it right that very minute.
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
5 slices of bacon (I prefer center cut.)
1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced (to save time, I use the jarred type)
1/3 C. Chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 375º F. In a small bowl add all the spice rub ingredients and stir.
- Add raw chicken pieces to a large mixing bowl and add spice rub mix. Use tongs to toss chicken to coat in spices. Set chicken aside.
- Fry bacon in a large oven safe skillet. Once cooked remove bacon and set on plate with paper towels. Remove some excess bacon grease from pan, leaving some grease left for browning chicken. Chop bacon, and set aside.
- While the skillet is still on medium high add chicken to the skillet and brown and sear the chicken on both sides until browned.Once browned, remove chicken from skillet and set on a platter. Set chicken aside (this will be baked in the oven later).
- While skillet is still on medium high add cabbage to the skillet and stir. Add chicken broth and sliced parsnips and stir. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and stir. Add chopped bacon to the skillet and stir.
- Remove from heat, and place chicken pieces on top of the cabbage mixture in the skillet.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until chicken is done. If you are going to have leftovers, remove a little early so that chicken isn't 100% cooked. Reheat to complete cooking.