Let's be real, making the transition to eating fully plant based is hard! This meal is 90% vegan if conventional ingredients are used. The only ingredient non vegan is mayonnaise. A vegan mayo can be purchased or made from scratch. I'm phasing out animal products from my fridge currently so what you see pictured is using conventional mayo. I've had a few jars of vegannaise in my fridge and when I use it, I can't tell the difference!
The fries in this dish are made with celery root. The first time I made this, celery root was brand new to me. Before cooking it has the smell of celery, but after I can't even tell its related to celery. I found this locally at Fresh Market. Since they were on the smaller side, I use 4 bulbs for 4 servings. If you've never seen it in the store, here's what to look for:
To clean celery root, cut the tops off, peel with a vegetable peeler and cut into strips.
If I close my eyes while I eat the portabella with the sauce, I'd almost swear I was eating a burger!
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- butter or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb celery root
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups oil for frying or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- Mix together mayonnaise, chili powder and garlic. Place in the refrigerator while you are preparing the rest of the dish.
- Remove the stem and fry the mushrooms for 10 minutes on each side until soft and thoroughly cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry tomatoes, sliced scallions and chili in a separate pan. Keep vegetables and mushrooms hot while making the fries.
- Peel the root celery or rutabaga and slice into half-inch rods. Place in ice-cold water for ten minutes. Remove and dry off.
- TRADITIONAL FRYING: Heat the oil to about 350°F (180°C). Keep your pot or deep fryer under constant supervision. Do not put all the fries in at once, or the oil will cool down.Deep fry until the fries turn golden. Put on paper towels and salt to taste.
- AIR FRYING: Place enough celery root into basket to cover bottom. Spray with coconut oil spray and toss to coat. Spray again if desired. Set Air Fryer to 400 and switch on for 12-15 mins. Check occasionally for doneness.