Dinner time around house is after workout. Ideally workout would be done by 5:30 but needless to say that's not always the case. This meas that by the time dinner is ready, we are hungry bears. To help in this effort, I try to find quick meals for the week nights.
Recently, I've been trying to prep any veggies, sauces or spice mixtures while I'm waiting on my Mr. to get home. This has helped tremendously! This recipe lends very well to that method of a little prep and then cook later
I chopped the veggies and chicken and made the ranch seasoning before workout and then all I had to do was basically throw it in the pan, let it cook for 10-15 mins and then eat. So easy.
If you serve this hot and mix it up the cheese melts into gooey yumminess.
- 1 tsp Dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried minced onions
- 1 T parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound thin sliced chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed (uncooked)
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium high. Add chicken, onions and ranch seasoning blend. Saute and stir often for 2 minutes. Chicken should not be fully cooked.
- Stir in bell peppers, zucchini, beans, tomatoes, rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover. Simmer on low for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and quinoa is cooked.
- Divide among 4 bowls. Sprinkle cheese evenly over. Top with Cilantro and serve!