As you might have read before, my Mr. loves BBQ. I even called him the next day when we had the leftovers from this for lunch because my car smelled like BBQ to share the love a little bit more. These can be served on your bread of choice. The next time I make these, they will be served over a sweet potato to switch things up and incorporate a healthier less refined carb.
This is another very quick meal for a weeknight dinner. I chopped the veggies and made the sauce before our workout for the day and then threw this together after the workout.
To make this a full meal, add some veggies on the side. If you decide to use the sweet potato option, you'd still need to add veggies on the side since the sweet potato is a carbohydrate.
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 - 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs molasses
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
For the Turkey Joes
- 1 lb ground turkey (93% lean)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- salt & pepper, to season
- 8 whole wheat buns, Sandwich Thins or 1/2 pitas (not included in calorie or container counts as they will be different depending on what you choose to use)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients, set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium heat, then add the peppers, onions and ground turkey. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Break up the ground turkey and continue to cook until turkey is cooked through. Stir in the sauce and heat through, check seasoning and add a little salt and/or pepper to taste.
- Serve with sandwich thins, buns, bread or 1/2 pitas, whatever floats your boat!
- Container Equivalents: 1 RED, 1/2 Green 1 ORANGE, 1/2 tsp sweetener