When the Mr. and I met, he had never tried Indian food. Needless to say, our second date was at our local Indian restaurant. At that time I hadn't taken the leap to prepare Indian style dishes at home.
I've since made lots of different recipes that are Indian style in search of a replica restaurant butter chicken. This one came around not in that searching but just as something new to try. We liked it but decided that it needed a bit less curry so it's not quite as hot.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 3 cups (425g) butternut squash, cubed
- 1 can (13.5oz) lite coconut milk
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1½ cups garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ tablespoons curry powder (Use a little less if you don't like heat.)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch stevia (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups prepared brown rice or quinoa
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup roasted cashews, chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add shallots and cook for 4 minutes. Add squash and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, broth, garbanzo beans, curry powder, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, paprika, stevia and salt and pepper. Stir well, then simmer until sauce is reduced by half and squash is fork-tender (about 10-12 minutes).
- Stir in spinach until just wilted (about 1 minute). Divide rice into ½-cup servings, then pour curry dish on top. Sprinkle cilantro and cashews on top just before serving.
- *In place of rice, you can serve over cauliflower rice or zoodles.