I often have the urge to head out the door to my favorite Mexican restaurant, but unfortunately my Mr. isn't a big fan. Not sure why because he's quick to eat anything Mexican inspired that I cook. So I often make up for lack of restaurant access by cooking tex-mex dishes for our lunches and dinners. In the past, I've made lots of slow cooker type recipes that are delicious. You can even find many of them here on the website.
This time around, I threw together a plant based taco lasagna. As per my norm, I was tasting as I cooked to make sure it would have the right flavors and the right amount. It started out a little bland so I doctored it up right away and came out with a dish that is pretty tasty.
1 14oz can black beans, drained
7 cloves of garlic, minced
2 bell peppers, I used one red and 1 green
8oz cherry or grape tomatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp tomato paste
Herbs of choice (think Italian seasoning, paprika, chili power, cumin, coriander)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
7oz Tempeh, cumbled
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup organic vegetable broth
1 Tbsp tahini sesame paste
12 whole wheat tortillas
1. Boil 1 1/2 cup of water in microwave. Add cashews and let sit for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the rest of the items.
2. Preheat oven to 390°F.
3a. Wash peppers and tomatoes. Add to foil lined baking sheet. Roast peppers and tomatoes for 45 minutes.
3b. If you have an air fryer, you can speed this process up by placing peppers and tomatoes in the basket, turning air fryer to 390, and roasting for 10 -15 minutes. Be sure to check in on them after a few minutes.
4. Open and drain black beans. Mix together with chopped garlic. Set aside.
5. Heat a pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Once oil is hot, add chopped onion and crumbled tempeh. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until tempeh is slightly brown.
6. Once vegetable are cooked, remove from oven or air fryer and let cool for 5-10 minutes (until you can handle them). Remove the skins and innards from the peppers. Add along with tomatoes to a blender or food processor.
7. To the blender add 1 tbsp olive oil, salt & pepper, tomato paste, and seasonings of choice. I used the following:
3/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
You could also add some Cayenne pepper but we don't like a lot of heat.
8. Mix sauce with onion and tempeh mixture in pan. Allow to cook on low until you finish making the cheese sauce.
9. Cheese sauce: Drain soaking cashews, add to blender with tahini paste and vegetable stock. Taste for flavor and add salt, pepper, or other seasonings as needed.
10. Assemble the lasagna starting with a thin layer of cheese sauce, then tortilla, tempeh mixture, beans and then cheese sauce again. Finish with a later of tortillas topped with cheese sauce.
11. Bake at 360°F for 25-30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!